Big Steve

Just a man trying to become a better Christian following Jesus and those that follow him.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Why oh Why Didn't I Take the Blue Pill

I recently had the blessing of attending the Northwest Youth Ministers Seminar hosted by Cascade College. I would say that I was blessed but that would not be a great understatement. It was great. One of the biggest blessings for me was to hear Mike Armour talk to us about “The Nature of Christian Change”. His sessions reaffirmed some things I have looking into.

I was initially moved by Donald Miller’s “Blue Like Jazz”. His book said to me that being a Christian looks a lot different than I have been living; and I know better. I just choose to fit in. Now for someone who has been a Christian for over 20 years that is very sobering. So in light of some other readings: Stephen Covey’s The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People , Andy Stanley’s 7 Practices of Effective Ministry to mention a few; I have been in the middle of transformation Romans 12:1, 2 style. It has been good but difficult. The thing for me is that I really love my church and I think my church is a church that is taking on the challenge of true transformation. It will be a rough ride, but we are clinging to God and looking forward to the transformation that will take place. Now for those of you that know I am a member of PUMP church I am talking about PUMP church along with all of my brothers and sisters around the world. Pulling people out of the “Matrix” so to speak will be difficult but I think we have hit a generation that is willing to take the red pill.
Having grown up in the South where Jesus is served up like Starbucks coffee, and living out here in the Northwest where that is not the case; I have been blessed to see people in both areas and even other places take a long hard look at their lives. The person who is truely passing through does what they need to survive here but not set up camp here (on earth). I have a freind who does not watch "R" rated movies. Is he extreme? Sounds like to me his is. And that is actually good. Morpheus did not tell Neo jokes as he was pulling him out of the Matrix, but he did stick around to make sure the process (of pulling him out of the Matrix) he started took hold to the point that Neo could function on his own.
I have had times when I wish I had taken the Blue Pill, but the more I learn about Jesus and His reality - the more convinced I am that I made the right choice in taking the red pill.
Colossians 1:27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home