Big Steve

Just a man trying to become a better Christian following Jesus and those that follow him.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Take the Time!

I don't expect to get many comments on this, but I will say it anyway. Take the time to REST! OK, so in some cases I am speaking to the choir. I guess the thing that surprises me is that in a lot of cases I am not speaking to the choir. It's as if resting has become a lost art. It's as if the worries, trials, task list's, and other things of this world have us going so much our entire life is a fast food drive through. Drive through to get some sleep, a little work done, time on the computor, to get something to eat, and so on and so on. It starts getting scary when it becomes driving through to get time with the children, time with the spouse, time with friends and then the ultimate - time with the Creator of Time - God. What gives? When is it time to chill and do a lot by doing nothing. I know one of the things I face is that my mind is going so much that sometimes I can't rest my mind enough to rest my body. The funny thing about this is that I have it modeled for me daily by my beautiful baby boy - Jonah! He sleeps throughout the day and I don't. Now granted I have work to do, but I wonder what kind of work I would get done if I would just rest.
Oh well! I guess I wrote this now because, Lord willing, you will get some time with family this Christmas season and you guys will just sit around and talk about "the here and now" or "the way it used to be". You will take time to eat together, then play games, watch sporting events, and sleep between all of that. And during that time you will be resting. Yes, that is what it feels like. Now, some of you are saying - Steve, you don't know my family - this is not the time to rest. And to you I say, TAKE THE TIME! Find it somewhere! You will be blessed and those around you will be blessed also. (Since the roads are sheets of ice - now would be a good time to try it out)
Until next time - Have a Merry Christmas and God bless you and your life lived for Him.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What is this strange "rest" thing you speak of?

    As someone who pushes myself way too hard and rarely takes time to rest, I appreciate the encouragement--hmmmm...maybe it's time to go take a nap.

     
  • At 10:59 PM , Blogger ewall said...

    thanks for the thoughts steve!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home